Identification and support

·        Children have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty, which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.
·        Children have a learning difficulty if they:
·        have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age or;
·        have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of  the same age in schools within the area of the local education authority;
·        are under compulsory school age and fall within the definition at (a) or(b) above or would so do if special educational provision was not made for them;
·        Children must not be regarded as having a learning difficulty solely because
·        the language, or form of language of their home is different from the language in which they will be taught.
·        Pupils who we feel have SEN, after discussion with parent and child will be placed on special educational needs register and recognised as needing special educational needs support. A provision map will be written which explains how, when and who will provide additional support. This will be closely monitored and reviewed each term for progress. Again this will always be shared with parent and child.
·        If progress has been made the child will be moved to a pupil with additional educational needs this is then followed by removal from the register again in discussion with parent and child.
·        If progress over several terms has not been made then other specialists may be invited into school to carry out assessments and give advice. Again parents will be involved with this, signing to give consent and meeting where possible with specialists. Any report issued will be copied for the parent and discussed with them.
·        If serious issues still remain and no progress is being made an Educational and Health Plan may be applied for. This replaces the statement.